Categories > Etc > Software & Hardware >

email service

Threads: 1

Posted

Hello! In your oppinion what is the best email service?

Alternate

stop take my rice

vip

Threads: 113

Replied

I'd go with Gmail or Outlook, just not... iCloud.

iCloud sucks because the email they give you is associated with... well, iCloud, and if you run out of storage you become inable to send or recieve emails off that account (a free account has like 10 gigs). It's pretty clever, actually, they charge storage at a low price (like, a dollar for 50 gigs) but then they do a bunch of crappy background stuff to fill up your storage faster so you will be forced to buy more.

Gmail is good because it's assoociated with your Google account which you can use for everything Google related (ofc) and even when I was getting hundreds of emails a day + frequently using Google Drive, it remained working and has been like that for years. I don't even know if it has a storage limit lol

Outlook is also good, plus it's associated with your Microsoft account which means you can use it easily integrated with Windows and stuff. It has a lot of storage like Google and for the 2+ years I've been using it, it has been very reliable. Just like Google, I've recieved hundreds of emails a day and it's remained working.

That's my opinion on what I would and do use, but there are other services out there too I haven't tried, so experiment with a few and find what works best for you.

we are dead

Threads: 6

Replied

The market is quite saturated with generic email providers: Google's Gmail, Microsoft's Outlook, Yahoo! Mail, (...). Since there's really no fundamental differences between the options, you can go with whichever you like. Gmail offers a unified login system, Outlook has a "convenient" desktop application, Yahoo! Mail has... I'm not sure. Unless you get into the nitty-gritties of how many different function buttons each service has that you probably don't ever plan to press, or the different ways to log into them, or maybe even how they look, there's no difference between them.

Email is an ancient protocol - send and receive messages between different internet-connected sites. No single email provider can just decide to 1-up this protocol. If you really want the best email provider, you want one that makes full use of it, doesn't compromise usability and privacy, and strengthens the protocol's notorious security-related design issues.

The email protocol doesn't address proper encryption. Emails are encrypted when you send them from your computer to say Google's servers, then Google encrypts the message on its own and sends it to whichever other email service is the receiver (if you're not sending internally to another Google user). In the end, this kind of encryption protects emails from third parties, but not from the providers involved in the process, even though the emails can share very confidential and private information. Google and other providers have access to your emails, and index/scan them to collect information, as mentioned in many of these generic providers' privacy policies.

The above is my take against using a generic email provider. If you want ones that offer you features above the baseline (which some might just consider the bare minimum) - choose a privacy-respecting provider. Proton and Tutanota are email providers which offer you privacy (their privacy policies are restrained, they don't give themselves unnecessary rights to the contents of your incoming and outgoing emails, which may still be improperly encrypted) and even offer you the ability to send end-to-end encrypted emails to other users on those services, whilst also offering encrypted mailboxes.

Providers that don't scan your mailbox and index emails in them, offer easy-to-use public-key cryptography and restrain their own powers in order to better protect your privacy are one level above those that don't. This is especially true when they don't compromise on usability and the user experience.

it will no longer be possible to contact me here, but i will be on session for at least a bit :)

0520984e5ed65f84673ff6d3421d89a3b3e1dff2ed54cbd4ed012351789a347913

RiceUsesArchBtw

rice cracker

vip

Threads: 19

Replied

@Texas oh no the internet doesnt respect my privacy what a surprise 

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1023423265160560745/1132948683747500092/Frame_12x.png

Threads: 6

Replied

@RiceUsesArchBtw If it was really a surprise, there wouldn't be a load of tools, resources, ecosystems and communities focusing on restoring that fundamental right. It's not normal, neither is it a part of technological evolution - we can have great things without the end user being exploited.

it will no longer be possible to contact me here, but i will be on session for at least a bit :)

0520984e5ed65f84673ff6d3421d89a3b3e1dff2ed54cbd4ed012351789a347913

Threads: 198

Replied

anything else than icloud its bad

Random quote here...

Alternate

stop take my rice

vip

Threads: 113

Replied

we are dead

Threads: 1

Replied

An email enrichment can be extremely beneficial if you want to target customers and prospects in your email marketing campaigns https://getprospect.com/enrichment . An email finder allows you to find email addresses without typing in their names or email addresses. These tools can be faster than a manual search and can even be used for free. However, it's important to use caution when using a free email finder as it may only have a limited number of free credits.

Users viewing this thread:

( Members: 0, Guests: 1, Total: 1 )