Categories > WeAreDevs > Hangout >

Endeavour | Arch, but easy to install

Wabz

Winning.js

Threads: 194

Posted

I had problems with Kubuntu because the LTS kernel included with it was not very compatible with my CPU (my CPU is ryzen 4800HS), i decided to go with a rolling release distro, since they generally have newer versions of packages.

I tried to install Manjaro first, but for some reason Manjaro never managed to install on my device, and i tried a ton of stuff. Also, Manjaro is not as up-to-date as normal Arch linux. So i got recommended Endeavour OS.

Endeavour OS has an easy installer, you just have to click some buttons. It ships with a heavily customized gorgeous XFCE by default (offline install) but you can choose any Desktop Environment with the online install, i recommend KDE Plasma. 

How my desktop looks:

https://i.imgur.com/WV1EfuW.png

Obviously, my setup is customized, but you can really customize KDE Plasma a lot.

Endeavour has pacman for installing stuff, so here are some important commands

install: sudo pacman -S [name of package]

remove: sudo pacman -R [name of package]

update: sudo pacman -Syu

In Arch, there is also something called the AUR, which uses the yay command, and it's basically the same as the arch repos, but anyone can publish stuff. Typically, its scripts to compile from source, so it's obviously gonna take longer to install from the AUR then from the normal repos since it's gonna compile for you. However, it means anyone can publish packages, which makes Arch one of the distros with the most packages. 

Important commands for AUR repos (yay command):

install: yay -S [name of package]

remove: yay -R [name of package]

update: yay -Syu

You can see that for the AUR (yay command), you don't need to run as root. It's because it won't let you. This can do very dangerous things.

And also, if you don't like the default shell (bash), you can always switch to something different such as fish or zsh. I prefer fish since it comes with syntax highlighting by default, and it's pretty good. It's also very customizable, i'm using the shellder prompt.

I hope this helped you. If you use a ryzen 4000 series CPU, and you are using a stable/point/fixed release distro, it might be better for you to switch to something like Endeavour, Arch or Manjaro, so that you get the latest releases.

Btw, if you don't wanna install anything else, the kernel that supports those CPUs well is from 5.7, 5.8 is even better. 

How to check for kernel version (all linux distros):

uname -r

I hope you enjoyed reading this thread!

Added

Also the login screen for plasma (sddm) in endeavour is kinda ugly by default (elarun).

change it to something better, like breeze.

My new discord is Wabz#1337 with ID 777154062789509130

Users viewing this thread:

( Members: 0, Guests: 1, Total: 1 )