Threads: 8

Posted

What is debloating? I know it speeds up performance but what do I actually have to do to debloat an OS? Windows 8.1 since Windows 7 is trash and I'm using Windows 7

Threads: 202

Replied

Debloating, from what I know, basiclly removes any bloatware + unnecessary software that a os comes with.

For windows, debloating would remove stuff like the windows store and other unnecessary features/applications. Which could allow lower end software to run windows 10 when it otherwise couldn't. Think ltt made a vid on windows 10 lite r somthing, which was a rlly stripped down version of windows.

I recommend you try a debloated version of win 10 before win 8

Reputation Goal: 69
#NoMoreMods

#MEWANTGLOBALCHAT 

TaxiDriver08

JustMarie

Threads: 39

Replied

Upgrade to Windows 10 Lite

it is a stripped down version of windows 10, making it just around 1GB.

Although it strips down things like language packs and stuff, it removes bloatware which makes your computer run faster because your CPU doesnt need to handle much applications

JustMarie#0709

allennova

allennova

Threads: 13

Replied

Debloating refers to the removal of any features/pieces of software you don't need, either preinstalled or user installed. An example already cited by Fun is the Windows Store or the Xbox app/game bar. This can be applied to any piece of software, not just operating systems. For example, OBS is a popular recording and streaming software and is open source. Debloating it would involve removing code that allows recording if you only stream or the streaming portion if you only record. Windows and Mac are both notorious for including not just preinstalled apps, but also background services like telemetry that almost no one uses. TaxiDriver talked about Windows 10 Lite, and while I have never heard of it, it sounds like Windows 10 LTSC, a long term build that only receives security patches but not feature updates, not including any stock features like Xbox or the Microsoft Store among other things.

Alternatives to Windows or Mac include GNU/Linux or BSD, the ladder is not recommended however as it is very unfriendly to anyone who is just swapping to more open operating systems (It is hard to learn for even linux users as it changes the entire file structure of the operating system.). Linux however is a mixed bag, as some distributions like PopOS or Elementary OS are very user friendly (being based on the rock solid Debian distro) while others like Arch are not for the faint of heart, as the default installation method is completely command line. Linux however (depending on the distro) includes little to no bloat, allowing the user to customize the entire system as most distributions are open source and are free to change as you please. Along with this, linux is very open not just in a code context, but also in a monitoring sense as well. Programs like Htop or KSysGuard do not just list your own running applications, but even the systems, allowing you to kill whatever you want, even if it stops your system in its tracks. This along with background software like Systemctl allow you to start, stop or reset any service running on your computer.

NZXT H510i, MSI X470 & 650W PSU, 1TB Crucial MX200 SSD
Seagate 1TB HDD, EVGA RTX 3060ti
Ryzen 5 5600x, 2x16GB Corsair @3600Mhz

Replied

Thank you for explaining me what debloating is.

Added

@TaxiDriver08 Where can I find this 1gb windows 10?

Added

@TaxiDriver08 I'd greatly appreciate it if you could find me a 1gb Windows 10 64bit ISO with no viruses of course.

TaxiDriver08

JustMarie

Replied

@jjsploitfixpls

you can just search up windows 10 lite

JustMarie#0709

Replied

@TaxiDriver08 im worried those Custom OS will have viruses in them.

TaxiDriver08

JustMarie

Replied

@jjsploitfixpls

They arent custom, its just windows 10 without useless stuff

JustMarie#0709

Moon

Moon

vip

Threads: 314

Replied