Categories > WeAreDevs > Hangout >

I'm a little paranoid about what Roblox could do with our IP addresses

Threads: 7

Posted

It doesn't seem like game Developers could IP ban people, and Roblox doesn't IP ban either. But, they totally can, and this frightens me a bit.

I dont think Roblox realizes how important IP addresses are for users to even use their platform. If Roblox actually put in effort to stop exploiters from using clients, they would have allowed game devs to IP ban players from their servers and Roblox themselves to IP ban users from creating roblox accounts and using Roblox.com.

You might say "Well, they dont. So who cares?" But you're not seeing the bigger picture. The problem is, they totally can, and what if one day, they do decide to take that route. Exploiters would be kind of screwed. Roblox already uses your IP to log all the accounts that were used on it to allow you to recover your account if you forgot the password. So if they were to take this one step further and use our IP's to ban us, we will have a harder time exploiting. Roblox already logs the accounts connected to your IP and/or router, so if Roblox really wanted you off their platform, all they have to do is find out what banned accounts were connected to what router/ISP/IP and banned the other accounts that's connected to the same one. Better safe than sorry.

What if Roblox is logging the accounts that we banned from different Roblox games and realizes, that all of these accounts are coming from the same IP which so happens to have one which hasn't been banned from any server. Roblox might conclude that's your main account and ban it too.

They dont, but they totally can. And we should expect this in the future or be ready for it.

In a way, this is really a smart move. Since players dont want to constantly use VPNs all the time, since they are slower and more of a hassle to use, and in a way, less secure. They would just say "Well, Roblox doesn't IP ban players anyway." And would just ditch the VPNs all together. So Roblox could then log their main and attempt to link it to any other banned accounts and might get your main banned if they decide to.

Added

@_realnickk
Hmmmm. Good point. Also, You said if you unplug your router for 5 minutes and plug it back in my IP Address will change. Is that true? I'm going to have to try that

Threads: 202

Replied

@80201generally

make sure your modem is dhcp

Reputation Goal: 69
#NoMoreMods

#MEWANTGLOBALCHAT 

Threads: 7

Replied

@Murz
Yeah. I might have over reacted and over thought it a little. Paranoia does that to people.

Added

@Vader
Yeah it is

Darkn

Darkn | Resigned

vip

Threads: 67

Replied

I'm not gonna read the whole thing.

Roblox isn't going to go out of their way to IP ban users for just semi-major problems or even minor problems.
If you do something extremely major to the site/client such as delete users profiles, raid groups/games/discords, etc, you could get POSSIBLY IP-banned from Roblox when doing that.

And to bypass an IP-ban, just actively use a VPN while you play Roblox. It may not be the same amount of ping but it'll bypass the IP-ban from Roblox.

In short, if you do something minor such as exploit, serverside, etc, you won't be IP-banned. If you are just a normal user on the internet or Roblox, you won't ever get IP-banned, AT ALL. No further questions please.

Users viewing this thread:

( Members: 0, Guests: 1, Total: 1 )