Categories > Etc > Software & Hardware >

Would a laptop be worth it?

Threads: 6

Posted

So, I've recently been planning on saving for a pc or a laptop in about 8 months from now... I was considering a PC but then I realised I do honestly take my laptop around quite a bit whether its me lying on my bed with it or just sat at my desk... anyways; I was considering buying a "gaming" laptop (more specifically the MSI GF65 with the RTX 2060) and I wanted to know whether It's worth it.

I don't really mind if it's a little over-priced in terms of its specs.. I just want to know whether or not it would be a good purchase when it comes to games, nothing too high end, just games like rust, CS:GO, MC (with shaders) etc...

Note: I'm trying to keep around £900 and lower

Haylo/Enty

lo4

lo4

Threads: 2

Replied

tbh its really your choice, if you want a high end thing and something to focus on i suggest a gaming pc, other than that i would choose the laptop

20 dollars for some block exploit lmaooo

Moon

Moon

vip

Threads: 314

Replied

I would honestly recommend a desktop if you aren't looking for portability and don't have a parent who takes your device every 2 hours

TaxiDriver08

JustMarie

Threads: 39

Replied

I'd recommend either 

buying a gaming pc

or buying a gaming pc

gaming laptops arent worth it

JustMarie#0709

Replied

@Moon I care about portability a little since I do move around the house quite a bit, my mother doesn't really care and never takes it away. I'm practically on my garbage laptop all the time wherever I am in my house, I also watch movies on it whenever I'm bored thus meaning I have it on my bed :shrug:

@TaxiDriver08 Why do you think they aren't worth it? I'm somwhat looking for explanations of both pros and cons of each side.

Haylo/Enty

Moon

Moon

vip

Threads: 314

Replied

@lesaurora

Then yeah get a laptop

Don't get a Toughbook like me

Replied

@Moon Do you reckon the MSI GF65 is any good? A couple of my friends have said it seems alright though they recommended changing the SSD for a 512GB one if I plan to install games like cod.

Haylo/Enty

Threads: 202

Replied

a rtx 2060 and 8gb of ram for 1k

idk if it was 16 GB ram maybe, if u can find a slightly cheaper one for 900 USD and throw in an 8GB stick its ok

I myself would not buy a gaming laptop as cooling + upgradability/resell are terrible in gaming laptops 

your better off getting a 100 dollar chrome book and 900 desktop pc

autho in the current market of scalpers, that's not really something you can do, so the laptop is meh at best due to 8gb of ram and the current market being bonkers 

also a parent cant take away a 50 lb tempered class desktop pc that easily can they :D 

Edit:
"I do honestly take my laptop around quite a bit whether its me lying on my bed with it or just sat at my desk"

wow seems like quite a bit of movement between your house and your house

a desktop and a monitor mounted on your wall where you can just move the screen from your desk over your bed will do that just fine

Reputation Goal: 69
#NoMoreMods

#MEWANTGLOBALCHAT 

Replied

@Vader My mother wont let me go that far with a monitor lmfao, besides I swap rooms a lot since my brother is quite the annoyance at times... in other words 60% of the time he's shouting while playing fortnite... 

In terms of a PC, I don't really know much about choosing parts so I'd need help if that was the case... besides I can't find anything thats availabe in the UK... pcpartpicker really drops out on everything.

Haylo/Enty

Threads: 3

Replied

What brand is it? I know PC brands like Legion who try ripping users off by getting a cheap power supply and underclocking every part of the PC and lowering preformance to save power.

The ultimate rick roller.

Replied

@2kool4u The brand is MSI :shrug:

Haylo/Enty

FumbleTwit

Old Account

Threads: 10

Replied

Just get a new macbook really, it can handle vm hardware and more games with a windows virtual machine. It's quite *decent* for school due it's leight-weight design. Just use bootcamp if you want windows ehh.

Old account...

Threads: 3

Replied

@66766Likely MSI would use their own PSUs, from I hear, I would never want to have one.

The ultimate rick roller.

allennova

allennova

Threads: 13

Replied

@lesaurora

If budget is the issue, a used pc would be the best price to performance, however those are becoming scarce or jacked up due to the gpu demand on top of other problems like reliability on cheaper deals. Laptops are an iffy thing for me as they don't fulfill the price to performance ratio i would like. As many have said before, a gaming laptop has its downsides, and portability is really it's only upside. If your internet is really good, you could host a gaming pc and remote desktop into it for a makeshift cloud gaming solution, but most remote desktop applications add extra latency or demand a bit of a beefy network solution. I have no ideas on buying a laptop, as I don't shop for new hardware much, only used. On the used market however, a gaming laptop could probably be found on ebay or even craigslist if you don't mind in person deals.

NZXT H510i, MSI X470 & 650W PSU, 1TB Crucial MX200 SSD
Seagate 1TB HDD, EVGA RTX 3060ti
Ryzen 5 5600x, 2x16GB Corsair @3600Mhz

Threads: 202

Replied

@65301no dear God

Arm support is so spotty rn and the tech still got 2 or 3 generations to go before I would recommend it 

Reputation Goal: 69
#NoMoreMods

#MEWANTGLOBALCHAT 

Next >>>

Users viewing this thread:

( Members: 0, Guests: 1, Total: 1 )