Categories > Etc > Software & Hardware >

Linux or windows?

halvik915

Talan2016

Threads: 20

Posted

So I was thinking about switching to Linux for a long time but am not sure if worth it because I could also run a vm on windows 10 for Linux or I could do it other way around. So which would be better to do 

EDIT:JUST GOING TO DUAL BOOT

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/901227777741692968/991219346124853278/sJkFFl5.png

we love security breaches

Threads: 6

Replied

Honestly, just dualboot, that's what I do and it works perfectly.

Haylo/Enty

TaxiDriver08

JustMarie

Threads: 39

Replied

linux for evarrrrrr

linux gives you more power to your hardware, but windows has more compatibility.

like the above reply, just dual boot

JustMarie#0709

allennova

allennova

Threads: 13

Replied

I use Linux for most things, the only thing I'm too lazy to set up RN is gaming. Nvidia recently released beta drivers to allow GPU passthrough with their cards, allowing you to game on a Windows 10 kernel VM without patching your GPU's bios. I don't see a usage for windows anymore aside from gaming, and even that is getting implemented natively to Linux with things like Valve's Proton and more Wine support. Legit anything else a non-professional user needs has been fulfilled on Linux better than Windows, such as general editing of photo/video, web browsing, communication, etc. If you need very specific things on the Adobe Suite, for example, that can be solved the same way a gaming VM can, by making a VM that runs alongside Linux with hardware passthrough. 

Texas will probably write a better 2k-3k word reply, but that's the general reason I swapped to Linux, plus the privacy and performance reasons.  

NZXT H510i, MSI X470 & 650W PSU, 1TB Crucial MX200 SSD
Seagate 1TB HDD, EVGA RTX 3060ti
Ryzen 5 5600x, 2x16GB Corsair @3600Mhz

Threads: 0

Replied

I would use linux Mint or manjaro bc high performance

MINISHXP

[REDACTED]

Threads: 3

Replied

@66766agreed

Threads: 6

Replied

More details here are needed to actually come to a proper conclusion. Doublebooting is not always the best solution, there are alternatives, you may not even need it. Doublebooting is really only ever necessary (in a Linux + Windows situation) if you have certain applications that have no adequate alternatives or ports to Linux, or for example certain games that you binge / play.

If you're still for whatever reason playing Roblox and just addicted to it as much as cocaine, then sure, that could be a "justified enough" reason to doubleboot. In any other case, most software will run. Even photoshop 2021 does, without any issues.

Why I would recommend Linux in this case over Windows in nearly all possible cases boils down to the same factors all over again:

1) Performance

All Linux distros are built with a goal to be efficient, fast and small. The common misconception is that a more basic or small piece of software is inferior and that "more lines = better product". This is not the case. Linux is modular. Everything is a specific piece of software. Linux itself isn't an operating system, it's a kernel, which is also just software that can be replaced with a different Linux-based kernel.

Due to Linux's almost non-existing bloat, optimizations leading to more efficient hardware usage, less background tasks that lead to lower memory and CPU usage, and overall just how efficient the kernel is, it's just plain faster. And not in a sense that it can perform some tasks faster, such as booting up or accessing programs, etc. It's faster in video games as well. Almost all native Linux games outperform their Windows counterparts, and by meaningful amounts often. The best common examples would be CS:GO and Minecraft, CS:GO has a Linux-aimed port with OpenGL whereas Minecraft is a Java application which just utilizes OpenJDK on Linux rather than proprietary Java. These games run faster, and in most scenarios, a lot faster. Google / DuckDuckGo "CS:GO Windows vs Linux" or "Minecraft Windows vs Linux" and watch just about any video you find, results speak for themselves.

2) Customizability

Most distributions (basically just collections of software and configurations) are aimed to be as customizable as possible. It's not just the software customization I'm talking about, in which you are free to choose your own software down to the kernel, bootloader, init system, desktop environment, but also the look, feel, general flow of your operating system. Desktop environments like KDE's Plasma or Gnome (most popular ones) are designed to be as humanly customizable as possible, althewhile leaving customization to be very simple. In Plasma, you can change most customization settings with just a few clicks, even in system settings you're given certain places to change your icons, fonts, window decorations, color themes, just about any element can be customized in some way in Plasma (Plasma has what's called the "KDE store" generally ran by the OpenDesktop community, which is silly since it's not a store, everything there is free. But it lets you install and find themes without even having to look on them online).

3) Security

Although any system is not safe from 0days, Linux provides quite a barrier for system security. Statistics of CVEs speak for themselves, especially when Linux distributions are open source, while Windows is a closed source, outdated and proprietary mess. Malware is almost non-existent, both due to the safety of the operating systems, but also because of the secure method in which distributions handle software repositories. The only real "controversial" pieces of malware are those that target datacenters and supercomputers.

It's not just security against malware, it's also general security. Linux combined with certain other software that is installed in pretty much all distributions gives you a lot of tools to protect your information and PC's data. You're given access to easy to use yet powerful encryption tools, a truckload of key management software, etc.

4) Privacy

Privacy violations just don't exist here. If software is coded open source, there's no incentive to attempt to collect data. It would also never work, open source means that someone else can just fork the code and snip the unwanted parts out. Almost all of the Linux ecosystem is specifically targeted to protect your privacy at all costs.

There's surely a lot more, such as hardware compatibility, retro gaming, and many more. But I'm sure you wouldn't care about them, so those 4 are the main talking points that are brought up.

If you have legitimate and serious needs to run Windows only software that cannot be worked with on Wine, then doublebooting can be an option. Although, as Allen said, virtualization and virtual machines are a very good choice which allows you to run Windows while being booted into Linux, with minimal performance impact (Combined with GPU hardware virtualization, that is.).

it will no longer be possible to contact me here, but i will be on session for at least a bit :)

0520984e5ed65f84673ff6d3421d89a3b3e1dff2ed54cbd4ed012351789a347913

Threads: 0

Replied

@Texas damn dude nice essay linux fanboys are hardcore

lo4

lo4

Threads: 2

Replied

@63568 facts

20 dollars for some block exploit lmaooo

Users viewing this thread:

( Members: 0, Guests: 1, Total: 1 )