Categories > Coding > Lua >

What categories of math should I study in for game development.

Threads: 72

Posted

Well the title is the question lol but which categories of math would you recommend learning for just game development as of right now.

Don't buy exploits its not worth it your gonna quit anyway

Taking accountability will help you excel in life

MINISHXP

[REDACTED]

Threads: 3

Replied

uhhhh, there isnt really a specific category for that but i would just study advanced algerba (im doing that rn)

Moon

Moon

vip

Threads: 314

Replied

Geometry could be helpful when making things 

Threads: 6

Replied

The assumption that you really need advanced knowledge of mathematics for coding or even game development, is, well, false. The fact is, game development is way more complicated than most people understand it.

If you imagine just some guy with Roblox Studio making a platformer then yes that's game development, but that's a very narrow point of view. Large AAA games, like say Call of Duty have very fragmented development teams, with each member having specific roles to contribute to the general picture, which is game development. There's just your average C++ programmers, there's 3D graphics programmers which interact heavily with the rendering engine, there's game analysts, testers, writers even, there's asset modelers / developers, texture developers, level designers / developers, sound design developers, simulation developers. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

You usually start with something you're good at, master that, and get a little more detailed in terms of what you can do. 3D engine developers or ones that interact heavily with how the game is actually rendered usually require the most knowledge in terms of mathematics (at least from what I know), they need to have decent knowledge of fields such as calculus, linear algebra, vectors, matrices, etc.

Complicated topic but you should be able to figure out if you think that this is your calling.

I recommend checking this out, it's surely worth a read if you want to get into 3D development: http://www.essentialmath.com/

it will no longer be possible to contact me here, but i will be on session for at least a bit :)

0520984e5ed65f84673ff6d3421d89a3b3e1dff2ed54cbd4ed012351789a347913

Xorenos

Jimmy "The Carpet" Skovic

Threads: 0

Replied

@Texas

To summarize what texas said, you have to be able to do grade 2 or 3 math, if you can add, subtract, multiply, do some small bitwise operations in your head (you dont even have to do them in your head sometimes), you shouldn't be worried about math in programming.

If you're doing like 3d modeling and UI designing you may want to take a look at the elements of design, and you may need way more math to be able to render objects and do general things if you're making your own game engine.

Otherwise, roblox game development is no challenge. You just have to make a somewhat decent anticheat and model the whole game, that's really the hard part.

You are a feedback loop.

Threads: 72

Replied

@Texas Interesting great points 

Added

@_realnickk Ik most likely khan academy offers to teach this but do you have another source you can recommend off the top of your head

Added

@_realnickk Ok thx anyways

Don't buy exploits its not worth it your gonna quit anyway

Taking accountability will help you excel in life

TaxiDriver08

JustMarie

Threads: 39

Replied

Triganomatry, idk I feel it would be useful for scripting animation for parts

JustMarie#0709

FumbleTwit

Old Account